Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Passing of a Great - Gwathmey Residence

Charles Gwathmey was an well known New York architect who became famous at 25... 25! by designing and building his parents house in the Hamptons.

The small house, completed in 1968, ushered in a new enthusiasm for modernism and is considered by many to be his best work.

On August of this year he died of cancer in New York at 71 years old.

I've modeled the house and I will be posting it to the 3d Warehouse in a few days, once I've completed the studio which accompanies the main house. His parents were both artists. Here you can see the massing model as it currently exists. Also the windows, doors, and textures need to be added.

I've had to extrapolate some of the measurements from the available photos, but I think I've mostly recreated its famous proportions. The model reflects the house as it stands now, including the changes that Charles introduced when he remodeled the home upon moving in after the death of his parents. The changes (to the best that I can see) are a larger kitchen and the elimination of a raised veranda, and the addition of two or three windows.

As usual I'll share all the links and photos that I used to research this project.

No comments: