Friday, May 16, 2008

Chasing the Ghost of Penn Station

Wow, I should have learned from this abandoned model that modeling something that no longer exists is difficult. And this building has been gone for over 40 years!

When I worked on the Tappan Zee Model it also required some significant research, but I found what I needed on the Internet.
However, despite finding some useful resources online, I wasn't able to get any of the key measurements I needed for my Penn Station project.

Fortunately I had plans to be in New York city, so I would actually have to do research in a book! I took a trip to the New York Public Library, another NYC landmark and Beaux Art beauty.




In room 300, the Art & Architecture Reading Room, I found a book of Penn Station plans that was actually published by the architect, McKim, Mead, and White. It was very exciting to get the exact information I would need to accurately model Penn Station completely to scale.

No comments: