Saturday, May 10, 2008

My New Mission

I've spent a lot of time New York City, and as someone who has an interest in architecture, I was quite surprised to find out about an absolutely classic building that I never new existed. Of course I have the excuse that it was destroyed many years before my birth.

I was made aware of this building when looking for the New York sports stadium, Madison Square Garden, in the 3d Warehouse. I saw that, despite being a fine model, it had several 'one star' ratings. The explanation for these low scores (unfairly to the modeler) was that the current MSG was a ugly and hated replacement for the beautiful Beaux Arts building that was the original train station at the location.



Upon reading the history, outlined in greater detail here, (an informative site with an unfortunately bad design) I was then shocked that this original building is not represented in the 3d Warehouse despite it's iconic status.

To me the most appealing aspect of the design is the experience related in arriving into Manhattan by train, "like a king" whereas now the experience is more like entering "as a rat". Since I specialize in modeling interiors, I'm going to attempt to model this former building so I can experience that king like entrance virtually.



No comments: